Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Auto-Biography 3 -- 1954 Chevrolet Bel Air













Hi folks -- when discussing my family's auto history, I have to bring in our 1954 two-tone Chevrolet Belair. As depicted in the photograph and other illustrations, it was blue and white, and perhaps was the best car we ever owned. Down the street, my aunt Rose owned a similar 1953 Green and white two-tone, but it was a 210 and not the Belair. These were rugged and dependable vehicles, reflective of the best that America could make. In fact, one story about the car that I remember centers on my disconnecting ignition switch wires under the dash so I would not have to go to Sunday School. I still dislike what they call "Life Groups" instead of Sunday School to this day, but now at least I don't have to sabotage a car to keep away from Church.

Sadly, our family's love affair with Chevys ended after my father bought a 1979 Malibu with a THM-200 transmission. That unsavory episode resulted in my current attitude of never even considering a GM product.

1 comment: