Quiz on Chapter 8
1. This University of Chicago theologian, after visiting the Chicago Auto Show in 1958, commented that the love of the automobile in America amounted to a religion. His name was ___________________.
2. Henry Gregor Felson wrote this book about cars for teenagers in the 1950s. Its main character was Bud Crayne. ____________________________.
3. This journalist wrote the important book Insolent Chariots in 1958, the first major critique of the American auto industry. _________________________.
4. This Ford executive formulated an important marketing strategy during he 1950s in which consumers were influenced to buy down rather than buy up – namely to buy accessorized, lower priced models. ________________________.
5. You watched this film about youth culture and the angst of youth during the 1950s in class last time. It stared James Dean. _________________________.
6. Another important book that was read by young men and women (especially young men!) during the 1950s was about sports cars. Its author was Don Stanford. ______________.
7. Name the two American sports cars that were introduced by GM and Ford in 1953 and 1955, respectively. __________________________ and _________________________.
8. Name the Hinton, WVA Ford dealer who is featured in chapter 8. ___________________.
9. Name the title of perhaps the first rock and roll song – its title featured a particular GM Brand. ________________________