Popular Posts

Sunday, May 24, 2015

University of Dayton HST 344 Student "Auto" Biography -- Brandon Dabney and his soon-to-be 2015 Corvette Stingray




The Automobile of My Life
            Have you ever had a car that you would do anything for? Meaning, you love that specific pile of metal like it is a person? Some people would say that only crazy or lonely people could love a car like that. I personally have not had that experience, yet. There is only one car that I do believe this could happen with though. This specific automobile is the 2015 Chevy Corvette Stingray.
            The 2015 Chevy Corvette Stingray is, in my eyes, a very beautiful car. Along with its stunning beauty comes a 6.2L LT1 V8 engine (with up to 460 horsepower and 465 lb.-ft. of torque), a choice of 7-speed manual or 8-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission, an aluminum space frame (providing 50-50 weight distribution), and can go from 0 mph to 60 mph in just 3.8 seconds. The aerodynamics of this masterpiece are simply, brilliant. If there is one thing that I would love in a car, it is speed.
            If only this car was one of my own. Someday this may be possible, and I would be in love. I’m not even sure if love is the right word for it. I am positive that it would be something stronger than love, if that is even possible. Perhaps I am going a bit overboard when I describe the affection I would have for the car. After all, this affection for the car only comes from a dream I had.
            In this dream, I owned a 2015 Chevy Corvette Stingray and was driving it up the street. The day seemed like a normal day, but this thought turned out to be false. There was a car that drove up next to me, a Ferrari 458 to be exact. The driver and I made eye contact and, out of nowhere, a rush of adrenaline came rushing through my body. We both knew what was to come next on the one mile stretch. Patiently waiting for the light to turn green, we revved our engines. The constant beautiful purring of the engines sounded as if we were in the midst of a beautiful concert. Our hearts raced as the light was slowly changing and then off we went.
            A cloud of dust filled the air, as the other driver and I constantly gave each other glares. We were finally free of the wait and the excitement could be seen on both of our faces. Before I knew it, he came slipping up past me. The only thing I could do was floor the pedal a bit more into the floor, so that I could keep up in the changing the gears. After constant shifts, I was right next to the other driver. A look of shock was in his face as I nearly passed him. By the time this happens, we are nearly half way up the road.
Inching past each other, little by little, our cars were almost in sync. Looks of anxiety in both of our faces, we saw a major turn was coming. This turn was the factor that was to decide who would win and lose the race. This turn was the factor that would end my dream with much needed fulfilment. This turn never happened in my dream.
            As I woke to turn my alarm off, all I could think about was if I won the race or not. Was I able to pull away from that corner a winner? Or was I the one who drove away in shame? Many times I tried to recreate the dream, and many times I failed. If only I were able to recreate the dream in actual life, that would be one of the greatest experiences in my existence.

            Many people would be shocked to find out that I had a dream like this, even though I do not have a driver’s license. Yet, dreams like this help to motivate me to make time to get my license. This dream will not be very likely to happen, even if I were to get my license, but there would still be hope for my dream to be achieved, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment