Popular Posts

Saturday, May 10, 2014

How hard can it be to replace a fuel pump relay on a 1982 W 107 Mercedes 380 SL?

Well, it can be harder than you think! Fuel problem at mid-week, with car dying, but then starting up right away. Diagnosis: fuel pump relay, a common culprit on these cars at this stage of their lives.  OK, so first thing I did was check Rockauto for the part -- they usually are the cheapest around.  Oh, oh, found that there are two possibilities one relay with 4 pins and another with 6 pins.  And I just so happen to have a six pin around, one that I found lying on the floorboard of a 380 SL in the pick and pull located in Chula Vista a while back.
So maybe I'll get a away Scot- free, I was thinking. But now I have to find the damn thing on my car.  Some internet sources say in the cowl behind the glove box; other sources say in the right kick panel where the fuse box is.  First I go behind the fuse box -- as it turns out way back, to where I can barely.  And there are three boxes there.  The likely one -- a box that have 5300/min and kickdown (mentioned in one online post) -- but that has 7 pins! Next go to right kick panel, and remove it because most of the fuses are not accessible any other way. I know that is where they put the relay in a 1979 450 SL, but not to be found on mine.
Finally, I find the 7 pin relay correctly illustrated at Pelican Parts.  What an ordeal! And getting to it requires great eyes, small hands, and flexible joints.




1 comment:

  1. The automotive industry has become a vital element in the economy of the industrialized countries—motor vehicle production and sales are one of the major indexes of the state of the economy in those countries.
    Lead Acid Batteries in Asia

    ReplyDelete