Popular Posts

Thursday, December 29, 2022

I-71 Boredom!

 Yesterday we took stretches of I-70 and I-71 on our way to family near Oberlin, Ohio. I was really struck by the uniformity of Crossover and SUV Vehicle designs and the absence of any cars that interested me along the way. For the most part all these Kia, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Fords look the same if you have something like 20-50 vision! Sure, there are the Kia Souls, the 1 in 10,000 Corvettes, the one in 100,000 Lamborghinis, but for the most part the auto world on the Interstate is one of near total conformity. Blah!

I saw two cars along the way that were worth  an expression of joy. One was a pristine (get his, driven on a road that still has some salt on it) BMW 528 e, probably from the early 1990s, and perhaps the most rusted out Mercedes- Benz 190d, maybe from the late 1970s. The Benz was more iron oxide than steel. But it ran well. I first noticed it from afar because it appeared so small on the horizon. But if you remember them, they are not small cars. It was surrounded by bulbous Crossovers.

This conformity in personal transformation -- what does that say about us as Americans?  Are we more alike than we wish to admit?  Do we not car about vehicles anymore? Has car spotting as a current activity largely disappear for lack of varied species?

I’ll attach photos of a 528e and 190d, but they are not of the cars I saw on I-71 north of Columbus.







1 comment:

  1. Informative and helpful Post. Thanks for sharing. I want to share information about the iOS app development companies in Pune. The cooperative and client-centric approach embraced by these entities ensures fluid communication and transparency throughout the development journey, cultivating a robust partnership between the client and the development team. Consequently, enterprises in Pune stand to gain from bespoke iOS applications that not only elevate their digital footprint but also amplify user engagement and satisfaction, thereby making significant contributions to their overall triumph in the fiercely competitive mobile app landscape.

    ReplyDelete