Popular Posts

Sunday, January 21, 2018

"Are there cars you once owned that you do not miss and wish you had never purchased?"

Thanks to Ed for the idea for this post!

"Are there cars you once owned that you miss and wish you had again?" What about cars you do not miss?

Probably most folks have a car in mind that they'd like to have again.  Not me.

In my own case I can safely say that of all the cars I've owned, none of them I really would want to have again (Well, the Audi A5 coupe still appears in my dreams).  But all my cars were part of my life for a brief time and mostly I enjoyed them.  They were artifacts in time, who we were and where we were at the time.  When I had the first generation Mazda MX-5 Miati that was nice, but I don't miss it and don't lay awake at night thinking: "Really wish I still had that car again."  The BMW 3 series I had back in 2000.............do I miss it?  Not really.  And........ 

Why do I NOT miss this Pontiac Solstice that I once owned? (pictured her taken in front of the Richard Grant House down from you).  Terrible sports car, transmission sourced from the Chevy S-10 pickup; terrible convertible roof; uncomfortable to drive more than 100 miles at a time, etc.



For me (John), the car that I do not miss and regret buying was the first new car I bought, a 1974 Mercury Capri V-6. Today there are folks that collect these cars. For me, the Capri fell somewhere between a nightmare and a pain in the ass.  When I saw the light green with tan interior car (with a sunroof), I jumped at it although I am sure that a yellow 1973 V-6 would have been better, if for no reason than its more elegant bumpers. Those days, however, I made many bad decisions and the Capri was undoubtedly one of them. I kept the car 9 or 10 years, but it was agony at every turn.

That was the right color of my car. Note the hideous bumpers. Clutch cables routinely failed, water pumps were a problem, but the map light worked.





No comments:

Post a Comment