Popular Posts

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Remembering Hans Hermann--- a contribution from Don Capps.

Remembering Hans Hermann--- a contribution from Don Capps.







Two photos with Hans Hermann at the Daimler-Benz (Daimler-Chrysler at the time)/Mercedes-Benz Classic Center at Fellbach in July 2007.
The occasion was the symposium that Mercedes convened in July 2007 to discuss the Neubauer "Silver Arrows" creation story & the 1934 Eifelrennen.

One is of Hans signing his photo of him in the W196 at Reims in 1954 in Karl Ludvigsen's Mercedes book and the other of Hans with Doug Nye and I; the car is the W25 that Mercedes in its collection which was being restored at the time.
The white toy car Hans is holding is one of the W25's from the gift shop that the Mercedes people painted white and gave as gifts to the attendees, a rarity as it turns out.

The night before the symposium, Hans, Doug, Karl Ludvigsen, and I, with a few others involved in the symposium all had dinner together; Hans was the center of attention with one tale after another (....some of them he admitted were actually true...).
As you can tell by my haircut, I was just back from my first deployment, my one year tour that turned into a two year tour after being extended and then volunteering to stay....

Addendum: I was at the 1954 GP d'ACF at Reims, although I do not recall all that much of the race since it has long merged with others from the time. That was one of the reasons I wanted Hans to sign the book since I saw him in that race. In addition, Karl was as gracious as ever and signed the book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment