Popular Posts

Monday, April 27, 2020

A Horror Story of Getting a Replacement Throw-Out Bearing for a 1950s Ford Anglia

1955 Ford Anglia 100E with pre-facelift grill
Photographed at the Nationaal Oldtimer Festival Zandvoort 2014, The Netherlands











Here's a delightful period piece on the English Ford Anglia.  Likely I've told you the story of my crazy stepfather buying one used in 1959.  He had me and my sister in the car and told us he was going to "break the speedometer" -- got it up to 75 mph as I recall and I literally thought we were going to be killed.  Then at one point the clutch throw-out bearing went bad and he had it up on blocks.  We went to Garten Motors while my father still worked there (although they never met) and ordered a throw-out bearing from England.  The parts manager said it might take three months to get.  Four months later we got a call that the part was in and stepfather and I went to get it.  Found out what they had sent was a throw-out bearing for a Fordson tractor and not for the Anglia.  Stepfather went nuts, yelling and screaming!

Parts department reordered and four months later the correct part arrived.  Literally, it took 8 months to get the clutch repaired.  At that point my stepfather was so angry he literally gave the car away and we never saw it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment