Popular Posts

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Cars We Remember: 1958 Plymouth


A 1958 Plymouth that looked just like this one proved to be the worst car that the Heitmann family ever owned. My father bought it used, and it was problematic from the start. It looked great! But it burned so much oil that the family joke was "fill up the oil, check the gas." That was certainly the case when we took this car on a vacation to Lake Placid. By the time we got back the NYS Thruway had enhanced levels of hydrocarbon fog. It also certainly fogged neighborhood mosquitos.

I did like the hardtop and a great radio to listen to Elvis tunes. It had a Powerflite push-button transmission, great two-tone paint, and featured the "Forward Look." I wonder now how this long and wide car fit in our small garage!

But as I look back I am sorry my father had to deal with this car. It was the first, and last, Chrysler product in our family. Back to Chevys!

No comments:

Post a Comment