Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Kindness and Peanut Butter Sandwiches Found On the Road!






From Ed --  

Yesterday morning I drove my Toyota Hybrid to the Lake Erie area to visit an old mentor -- a long retired United Methodist pastor who lives in the Lakeside compound.  On the way home, my GPS led me back south through a town in North Central Ohio, on Ohio Route 4 (the straightest road you can imagine).  As I then entered the town, I found myself following a relatively new Honda minivan that said, on the rear window: The Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Man.

A mile or so later the driver pulled over into a residential area and given my inquisitive mind, I had to know what this was all about.  He stopped, I stopped, and he opened the side of his van which said on both sides:  

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches - Always Free.

About a half dozen little kids rushed to the van.  I chatted the man up.  He told me that since he retired about ten years ago his hobby was getting up early and making 100 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, each sliced in half, and placed into individual zip lock bags.  

He then would drive around neighborhoods where he knew there were children out playing, mostly in low-income areas; stop and hand out sandwiches.  He has done this every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the summers for the last six years or out of the goodness of his heart.

The interesting things one encounters in small towns when one gets off the Interstates!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment