Popular Posts

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Harley-Davidson "Topper" and Some Reminiscences from Ed

John, in the mopeds, scooters, and whizzers class that I judged today was an exact version of the Harley-Davidson Topper (scooter) that I delivered newspapers on for a couple of years after getting my driver's license.  See attached photo.  Indeed, the owner of this gem lives only two miles from me here in Beavercreek. 

I came home from college during Christmas break in fall of 1965 and learned that my step-father had sold my scooter.  He never inquired as to whether I wanted to keep it.  While he is now dead, I have yet to forgive him for that misdemeanor.   These scooters were relatively rare when they were on the market and few people know that Harley actually marketed a 2-cycle scooter.

I asked the gentleman who owns it if he would consider parting with it.  He said "no" and indicated that he'd paid 3K for it a couple of years ago.  As I recall I paid perhaps 75 bucks when I bought mine used from someone in Hinton, West Virginia likely around 1962 or 63.  A 75 buck motor scooter now is valued at $3,000.............go figure



1 comment: