Popular Posts

Monday, July 29, 2019

A bad no start/no power diagnosis on a 1971 Porsche 911

About two weeks ago I took Don Capps on a brief driving tour around Dayton and then pulled my 1971 911 into the garage. It was a hot and humid day with a bit of rain and I had to put the top on to thwart a 5 minute light rain.

Five days later I was out to drive to a cruise-in and turned the key to start it. Nothing. Turn on lights. Nothing. if I fiddled with the starter switch occasionally I got a bizarre buzzer noise, or gauges would kick in, or even the radio would get power. So what to do?

First bit of advice I got off the Pelican Porsche Forum -- check main fuse and also check 6 pin connector under dash. Done. Nothing.

So my thoughts centered on the starter switch. OK, ordered one for $111 and then waited for it to come by removing the old one.  Advice -- don't struggle the way I did but go to Youtube. Remove facia dash plate on left side, emergency flasher, steering wheel and then drill out tow rivets before removing the two bolts that hold in the switch. Also when replacing it, remove upper and lower steering wheel switch covers so you can see exactly where to orient the lock portion of the switch (not the electrical part that you buy) as you slide it over.

BUT -- that was not the problem and I solved it before I replaced the switch but after I removed the old one needlessly.  I was a poor (no) ground due to corrosion near the battery!! Once that was done I realized the lights came on, and thus the real issue was addressed.

If you have an older car, and one that is not driven every day, occasionally check the condition of your grounds. If you don't, you'll end up needless spending money on parts and twisting yourself into a pretzel as you try to get under the dash.






1 comment: