Popular Posts

Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Shape of modern Automotive Headlights: Do They Reflect the Pervasive Hate that Divides America Today?

What follows is not my idea. At a conference in April, Kevin Borg, a very good automotive historian, asked me if I thought the angular shape and what can almost be interpreted as a frown or angry glance of many of our current motor vehicles is reflective of societal issues facing us today. I shutter at what is before us with election 2020 in the near future. Many Americans (thankfully there are many who remain caring and compassionate) are filled with hate and distrust. Is that emotion expressed in our automotive headlights. The round, almost happy headlights of the past, so well expressed in the shape of the Volkswagen Beetle, are largely absent in today's styling.  It seems as these newer cars are in attack mode, as I look out of my rearview mirror. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I have thought about this very subject many times but never made the connection to "societal times". I'm not a huge fan of how aggressive the lights and faces are on these new cars, but they do offer a different attitude on the road per se.

    ReplyDelete