Popular Posts

Thursday, December 17, 2020

As Seen on TV -- "Leave It to Beaver" and Chrysler Corporation Cars, 1959-1963

 Images from IMCDb.org

1959 Chrysler Windsor 4 door



1960 Dodge Matador 4 door sedan

As a regular viewer of "Leave It to Beaver" on MeTV, it is obvious that there was a relationship between the Chrysler Corporation and the producers of "Leave It to Beaver" during the late 1950s and early 1960s. But as I was thinking about it, the use of vehicles in TV series was such an effective was of advertising without explicit advertising. Now this is not a remarkable insight; but given that I watch the show so much I felt that I had to record this personal experience. My sense is, that at the time, it had a powerful effect on younger viewers in terms of reinforcing the American love affair with the automobile, and in this case Virgil Exner's "Forward Look" designs. How else can I explain my ability to recognize and spot these cars specifically as to year and model some 60 years later?

1960 Plymouth Fury -- Behind it a Chrysler


1961 Plymouth Fury



1963 Dodge Polara

4 comments:

  1. The car called Christine was a Plymouth Fury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a 57. It was just an earlier model. The cars they used in the movie were actually Belvederes

      Delete
    2. Wrong. Christine was a ‘58

      Delete
    3. I know
      Cars that were in television shows were the the best way of advertising .Bewitched was one of the best examples featuring Chevrolets along with I Dream of Jeannie with Pontiacs and Hazel with Fords. We'll never see those days again.

      Delete