Popular Posts

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Why I Prefer a 1982 Mercedes as a Daily driver

 

A Mid-Afternoon Sunday Drive on a Very Dreary Ohio Day, January 3, 2021.


I saw a recent Hemmings article written by someone living in California who likes to use an old car as a daily driver. Yes, it is easy to be. a car person in Southern California -- in fact, you can take the top off and enjoy top-down driving year round! But in Ohio not so much, especially once the dreaded salt goes down. Well, I live in southwest Ohio, so while inter weather is not as extreme as in Cleveland or Ashtabula, we still get salt, but it rarely stays around for weeks at a time. So whenever there is no salt -- no matter what the temperature -- out come the old cars! The above Mercedes 380 SL will go to Kroger or Wal-Mart, but I do park in a handicap spot. 

Why do I like to drive the Mercedes rather than my Subaru Outback with lane assist, Eyesight, heated seats. and a remarkably efficient air conditioner? It is about feeling, emotions, and control. That damned Subaru requires that I "accept" responsible driving every time I start it up -- and I have to touch the screen to get rid of the green button! The radio always comes on when starting, and it is incredibly annoying. The automatic lighting system -- I can decide to opt out of this, in fairness -- dips the high beam for me.  When I turn this car off -- the radio continues to play until I open the door. And exterior lights remain on for a minute or so, as a convenience. But I wonder if they will automatically turn off, or leave me with a red battery.

I am a 72 year old white male who grew up using certain automotive technologies and like it that way.  I don't like driving a SUV or Crossover that looks like every other vehicle. I like being old, and I like things that are from my era, even if they are not as safe or convenient as newer stuff. I like re-use rather than planned obsolescence. What is wrong with using a 6  yearly computer to write this, if it gets the job done?

No comments:

Post a Comment