Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Ed’s “Beaver Theater” of his Youth




Attached below is a newspaper advertisement for an in-door movie theater that was located about 12 miles from our home when I was growing up in West Virginia.  It was located in a little village called Beaver, West Virginia, but teenage boys would always laugh and snicker when someone said that they were going to the "Beaver Theater" on a weekend.  😈  The retort was nearly always: "So you're taking a girl there, right?"

This ad is from 1947 and of course a year before I was born but even up until around 1965 or so, as the ad says, there was a "balcony for the colored."  I remember going there once as a senior in high school and while in the lobby watching a few "colored" kids get tickets and walk up stairs to the balcony.  They certainly knew their place!

After I went off to college my mother told me that the theater was near the end of its life and to make a profit had started to run "adult" movies.  Perhaps the name carried more meaning at that point!

1 comment:

  1. Hi...
    A blog based on my book "The Automobile and American Life," and current research and writing related to my work in ... Ed's “Beaver Theater” of his Youth.
    You are also read more Jio Tower Installation Apply Online 2020

    ReplyDelete