Popular Posts

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Gods of Metal

Hi folks -- The car hobby can clearly become an obsession. It can take an increasing amount of time and money at the expense of relationships. We loose perspective; we are deflected from acts that make us better people, and instead increase in selfishness.  I ought to know -- often I have sat in church on Sunday morning and rather than listening or meditating, planned the days work on my Porsche or Mercedes.  I was fortunate enough to won these cars, but my focus can work against my true humanity. some folks can achieve a realistic balance -- I am thinking of the late John Dixon who used his Taj Garag for numerous charity and fund raising events. 

This morning I was reading a passage from the Bible and this passage stuck out:

Leviticus 19:4
4 Do not abandon me and worship idols; do not make gods of metal and worship them. I am the LORD your God.

I know that Aaron didn't drive a Bugatti! And that he fashioned a golden calf out of metallic objects donated by the Israelites, not a customized vehicle.  But the car hobby can easily devolve into an exercise into materialism, which is the bane of our age, and of the past few generations as well.  Let's all try to step back a bit from our caffinated word. Admire the beauty of great cars, yes. Nice classics are fun to drive. Obsess on them -- well, you decide.





No comments:

Post a Comment