Popular Posts

Saturday, December 1, 2018

1974 ford pinto -- Ed's Recollection





Great video of a much maligned car, but one that served us well back in the day.

This car -- a  1974 Ford Pinto station wagon -- first new car I owned.  Actually a pretty decent car -- bought in Cleveland -- that took me through my doctoral program and then to my first academic job in Minnesota.  

Later, when we moved to South Dakota we sold it to some young man who literally cried for joy when his mother handed me a cashier's check for its purchase.  Only thing that ever went bad in over 60,000 miles was a water pump.  

But wait:  The heater sucked...... in Minnesota -- on the border of North Dakota -- my wife drove it to North Dakota State University every day where she was doing her master's degree.  About an eight mile trip but the heater never warmed up (that said, it was often below zero up in the Northland).

The Pintos often got an undeserved bad name.  But I still fall asleep at night thinking about the one we owned.  I loved that car.  In late Spring of 1981,  Fran and I camped out in sleeping bags in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, with our new born son Noah, seats folded down.  We even have pictures!  All of the cars of our lives hold stories.

But this video, here, is a bit bizarre......but, just like my old Pinto.

1 comment: