Popular Posts

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Fixing a Vacuum Actuator on the Passenger Side Door of 1982 Mercedes 380 SL

Sometimes it takes me years to finally come to grips and deal with a small auto problem. Such was the case of the passenger side door vacuum actuator on my 1982 Mercedes 380 SL. When I first got the car 5 years ago I replaced the actuator controller on the driver's side door and that helped with the door locking system.  But the passenger side door did strange things, including not locking when the drivers's door was locked.  I would have to walk around the car and lock it manually.  I tried fiddling with it five years ago and failed, thinking that something had to be wrong with the mechanical end of things. Well after doing considerable reading and Youtube watching I figured out that it was the absence of two small springs that used the inoperative condition. They are $1.75 each and available  At Pelican Parts.  See photos below.

Sorry for poor photo. In this image the two little springs on the slider are broken. Hence, the slider does not work properly when the rod is moved up. This will "freeze" the interior lock lever.


Here are the two springs in place. The slider now works and "locks" in position.

1 comment: