Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Brief Review of Stirling Moss Face to Face with Ken W. Purdy, "All But My Life."






New York: E.P. Dutton & Co,, 1963.

Recently I have been on a Ken Purdy reading kick and got a copy of All But My Life. Rarely do I encounter a book that I can hardly put down, but that was certainly the case of this one! Based on as series of interviews with Moss after his near fatal and catastrophic Goodwood accident in 1962, the material is enormously engaging. There are interesting facts about Moss' life, including early years and his emergence as a very good driver on the GP circuit by the mid-1950s.  There are plenty of bits about driving a race car at a high level, including matters of adhesion and dealing with corners. There are glimpses into the personalities of other drivers and owners, including Fangio, Hawthorne, Collins, Hill, Ginther and others. And there is a rather in-depth initimate glimpse into Moss as a person, including his love life.  What motivates a driver who was one of the very best of his generation?

I heartily recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more about post-war GP history. It is one of those reads that can potentially change how you look at the world and yourself. I  am sorry I waited so long to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment