Popular Posts

Sunday, May 6, 2018

"Amazing Happenstance" -- Ed's first car found on a photo at the West Virginia & Regional History Center








Some people have a photo of their first car.  I did not have one however of my 1959 Plymouth Fury (cost $475 in 1965 when I went off to college).  Strange things happen, but today I was looking at digital photos now available on the West Virginia Regional History Center collection and ran across, no joke, a photo of my old white Plymouth (see attached photo).  I know this is my first car because I had had a flat left rear tire and the spare was an old "whitewall tire" that my step-father had put in the trunk for me "just in case."  See the whitewall on the car in the photo.  And there was considerable rust on the lower driver's side rocker panel (also in this photo).  I now vaguely recall that sometime in the summer of 1966 I had been home and my mother had asked me to hand-deliver payment for the telephone bill to the telephone company office in Hinton.  My Plymouth Fury is parked right in front of the telephone company's office.  Who took the photo?  No one will ever know.  

But my car with Chrysler swing-out driver and passenger seats and pushbutton auto transmission has been rediscovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment