Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

My Mercedes-Benz 1982 380 SL: When an inexpensive part makes a big difference! -- Oxygen Sensor Replacement

I bought my 1982 M-B 380 SL several years ago off of Ebay, and it has been a great car.  Except for one shortcoming -- gas consumption was quite high. I replaced the fuel injectors a few years ago, and that made a difference in terms of engine smoothness. But gosh, I could almost watch the fuel gauge go down.  So I read where the oxygen sensor should be replaced every 30,000 miles.  I ordered one for only $10 -- a close-out -- at Rockauto.com, and replaced the one on the car about a week ago.

The old one came off very easily.  But what I noticed was that the connector wire was in bad shape -- actually I think the person who replaced the last one did a very bad job and did not connect the wire up properly.  Maybe there was no connection!  That could be considering the sensor on this car is a single wire.

I will report soon what mpg I am currently getting in the near future. But my sense from driving with half a tank its that things have changed!





No comments:

Post a Comment