Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

My Favorite Car/Driving Songs: Rascal Flatts - Life Is a Highway



Originally a hit for Tom Cochrane in 1991, this song was given new life in 2006 by the Rascal Flatts (and Pixar film “Cars”). It’s simply a must have tune for any road trip, whether you are highballing it on Route 66 or moving along on I-70.

Whoo!Mmm, yeah
Life's like a road that you travel onWhen there's one day here, and the next day goneSometimes you bend, sometimes you standSometimes you turn your back to the wind
There's a world outside every darkened doorWhere blues won't haunt you anymoreWhere the brave are free and lovers soarCome ride with me to the distant shore
We won't hesitateTo break down the garden gateThere's not much time left today, yeah
Life is a highwayI wanna ride it all night longIf you're goin' my wayWell, I wanna drive it all night long
Through all these cities and all these townsIt's in my blood, and it's all aroundI love you now like I loved you thenThis is the road, and these are the hands
From Mozambique to those Memphis nightsThe Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lightsKnock me down and back up againYou're in my blood, I'm not a lonely man
There's no load I can't holdA road so rough, this I knowI'll be there when the light comes inJust tell 'em we're survivors
Life is a highwayI wanna ride it all night long (whoo!)If you're goin' my wayI wanna drive it all night long (all night long)
A-gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, yeah
Life is a highwayWell, I wanna ride it all night long, mmm, yeahIf you're goin' my way (if you're goin' my way)I wanna drive it all night long (all night long)
There was a distance between you and I (between you and I)A misunderstanding onceBut now we look it in the eye, ooh, yeahMmm, yeah (whoo!)
There ain't no load that I can't holdA road so rough, this I knowI'll be there when the light comes inTell 'em we're survivors
Life is a highwayWell, I wanna ride it all night long (all night long, yeah)If you're goin' my wayWell, I wanna drive it all night long
A-gimme, gimme, gimmeA-gimme, gimme, yeah
Life is a highway (life is a highway)I wanna ride it all night long, whoo, ooh, yeahIf you're goin' my way (if you're goin' my way)I wanna drive it all night long (all night long, yeah)
C'mon, gimme, gimme, gimmeGimme, gimme, gimme, yeah
Life is a highwayI wanna ride it all night long(Yeah, I wanna drive it all night long, baby)If you're goin' my way (if you're goin' my way)I wanna drive it all night long (all night long)

Joy, Joy, Joy! Freedom! It is about taking on life while you are behind the wheel, it is about being a survivor (“knock me down and up again"), overcoming darkness and heading towards the light. Reconciliation and love -- perhaps because of the opportunity to do so because of being in the car together.


No comments:

Post a Comment