Popular Posts

Sunday, January 1, 2023

My Favorite Cars Songs: Taylor Swift - Getaway Car (Reputation Stadium Tour live) 2017



A standout track from Swift’s sixth album, "Getaway Car” is a construction of pop perfection, telling a Bonnie and Clyde-esque story of love, loss, and betrayal. The lyrics are beautiful and at the same time mysterious. You want to know more! Does a bad start to a relationship damn it to a bad end? Can one trust no one? 

Lyrics:
No, nothin' good starts in a getaway car
It was the best of times, the worst of crimesI struck a match and blew your mindBut I didn't mean it, and you didn't see itThe ties were black, the lies were whiteIn shades of gray in candlelightI wanted to leave him, I needed a reason
"X" marks the spot where we fell apartHe poisoned the well, I was lyin' to myselfI knew it from the first Old Fashioned, we were cursedWe never had a shotgun shot in the dark (oh!)
You were drivin' the getaway carWe were flyin', but we'd never get farDon't pretend it's such a mysteryThink about the place where you first met meRidin' in a getaway carThere were sirens in the beat of your heartShould've known I'd be the first to leaveThink about the place where you first met meIn a getaway car, oh-oh-ohNo, they never get far, oh-oh-ahNo, nothin' good starts in a getaway car
It was the great escape, the prison breakThe light of freedom on my faceBut you weren't thinkin' and I was just drinkin'While he was runnin' after us, I was screamin', "Go, go, go!"But with three of us, honey, it's a sideshowAnd a circus ain't a love story, and now we're both sorry (we're both sorry)
"X" marks the spot where we fell apartHe poisoned the well, every man for himselfI knew it from the first Old Fashioned, we were cursedIt hit you like a shotgun shot to the heart (oh!)
You were drivin' the getaway carWe were flyin', but we'd never get farDon't pretend it's such a mysteryThink about the place where you first met meRidin' in a getaway carThere were sirens in the beat of your heartShould've known I'd be the first to leaveThink about the place where you first met meIn a getaway car, oh-oh-ohNo, they never get far, oh-oh-ahNo, nothin' good starts in a getaway car
We were jet-set, Bonnie and Clyde (oh-oh)Until I switched to the other side, to the other sideIt's no surprise I turned you in (oh-oh)'Cause us traitors never win
I'm in a getaway carI left you in a motel barPut the money in a bag and I stole the keysThat was the last time you ever saw me (oh!)
Drivin' the getaway carWe were flyin', but we'd never get far (don't pretend)Don't pretend it's such a mysteryThink about the place where you first met meRidin' in a getaway carThere were sirens in the beat of your heart (should've known)Should've known I'd be the first to leaveThink about the place where you first met meIn a getaway car, oh-oh-ohNo, they never get far, oh-oh-ahNo, nothin' good starts in a getaway car
I was ridin' in a getaway carI was cryin' in a getaway carI was dyin' in a getaway carSaid goodbye in a getaway carRidin' in a getaway carI was cryin' in a getaway carI was dyin' in a getaway carSaid goodbye in a getaway car

No comments:

Post a Comment